DHS home page

<empty> Staff tools

DHS home | APD Staff Tools | APD Worker Guide | B.4 Where Clients Are Served
Local Offices News Jobs Forms Data About DHS Policies, rules, guidelines Publications Training

APD Worker Guide

B.4 Where Clients Are Served

Effective 11/24/15

Interagency Agreement
CAF-Self-Sufficiency / Aging & People with Disabilities
‘Where Clients are Served’

This worker guide explains which office – the Self Sufficiency (SSP) branch, Disabled Services Office (DSO), Multi-Service Office (MSO) or Area Agency on Aging (AAA) – serves cases with a person who is elderly, blind or disabled. (AAA, DSO and MSO will be identified as APD throughout this guide)

Branch offices must ensure the application process is not a barrier to the people accessing benefits. It should be simple, efficient, and responsive to the needs of persons seeking help. It should also consider the privacy and confidentiality of each applicant. Whenever possible, use one application to determine eligibility under multiple programs and remember that we operate under the No Wrong Door Policy.

Please Note: Agreements with branch 5503 are addressed separately. See WG-1 in the OHP Program Manual,“Agreement on OHP Applications”, for more information.

1. Request for Services

Applicants, regardless of family structure, can establish a request for services at any local office. Establish a date of request for medical, and/or a filing date for SNAP benefits, and then refer to appropriate office as necessary for intake. Please Note: This should be done by contacting the local office prior to sending the case electronically and/or faxing the request.

See the following link for SSP Local Office Contact Information:


See the following link for APD Local Office Contact Information:

APD Local office listing

(These links are updated frequently)

2. Where Clients are Served

This is intended to be used as a guideline in developing local agreements. Our top priority is providing appropriate services to the clients and families we work with. All parties involved in this partnership have agreed to staff individual cases and make exceptions to these guidelines if a better outcome for the client(s) would be achieved. This section is not intended to supercede established local agreements.

Self Sufficiency Programs (SSP)


Aging and People with Disabilities (APD)

Refugee (REF) cases: APD would carry cases where the individual is disabled and those Refugee cases where the individual is over 65. SSP would have refugee cases with children and where the adult is not disabled. See the Refugee Program Manual for more information.

*Service cases are nursing facility cases or Title XIX waiver cases (e.g., adult foster care, assisted living facility, residential care, and in-home care cases) and are always case managed by APD. These cases receive long term care services, not just a medical card, from an APD office. Clients who receive a medical card only are not considered service cases.

**A companion case is one where all or part of the filing group has program benefits on more than one CM or SNAP case. For example, a mother, father and their two children apply for TANF. The mother is disabled and receives SSI and OSIPM. The father and children are eligible for TANF. Since the mother is receiving OSIPM and the rest of the family is receiving TANF, these cases are referred to as companion cases. Another example of companion cases is where a couple receives SNAP, one receives OHP and the other receives OSIPM.

*** State Plan Personal Care (SPPC) is a Medicaid Plan that serves Medicaid or CHP-eligible clients. This program is intended to supplement the individual's own personal abilities and resources. SPPC will support and augment independence, empowerment, dignity, and human potential through provision of flexible, efficient, and suitable services to eligible individuals. (See OAR 411, division 34 for more details)

3. Emergent Needs (SNAP only)

Emergency situations as determined by the branch office will be processed at the point of entry. Courtesy intakes will be provided on an as-needed basis, with the intent of reducing impact upon applicant(s).

4. Case Transfers

If you have a disability and need a document on this Web site to be provided to you in another format, please contact the Office of Document Management (ODM) at 503-378-3486 or by e-mail at dhs.forms@state.or.us.
If you have questions about DHS or problems getting DHS services, send e-mail to dhs.info@state.or.us. If you have comments about this site, send e-mail to spd.web@state.or.us.
Oregon Department of Human Services
500 Summer St. NE E02, Salem, OR 97301-1073
Phone: (503) 945-5811
Toll-free: (800) 282-8096 (V/TTY)