Refugee Program Manual
D. Medical Coverage for Refugees
Refugees/asylees may be eligible for REFM during their first 8 months* in the U.S.
even when they are not eligible for cash benefits because of income or resources.
When determining eligibility for REFM use the income received by the client in the application month minus all medical expenses. REFM income limits are 200% of the federal poverty level. Contact Refugee program staff for more information.
If they are eligible for medical assistance, they are
also eligible for retroactive medical benefits when they meet the requirements.
- Note: The client will receive two notices when
their 8th month* of eligibility approaches. One is sent 45 days prior to the
end of the 8th month; the other is sent 30 days after the first notice. Review
the case during this period and determine if the client is eligible for OHP.
These notices are computer generated using the date of arrival entered on CMS.
A client is assumed eligible for REFM if ---
- The client is receiving cash assistance through the REF program; or
- The client loses eligibility for cash assistance through the REF program only because of income or resources;
- The client loses eligibility for the EXT, MAA, MAF, or SAC programs, but still meets the requirements of the REFM program; or
- The client had refugee-related medical assistance established in another state based on refugee status granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and moved to Oregon within the client's first eight months in the United States.
Assumed eligibility: 461-135-0010
Retroactive medical: 461-135-0875
Medical coverage: 461-135-0930
Effective dates: 461-180-0140
*Afghan refugees are eligible for six-months of benefits.
If you have a disability and need a document on this Web site to be provided
to you in another format, please contact the Office of Document Management (ODM) at 503-378-3486 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about DHS or problems getting DHS services, send e-mail to email@example.com. If you have comments about this site, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oregon Department of Human Services
500 Summer St. NE E02, Salem, OR 97301-1073
Phone: (503) 945-5811
Toll-free: (800) 282-8096 (V/TTY)